Monday, January 4, 2010

South of Broad

Over the New Year’s Weekend I finally finished reading Pat Conroy’s South of Broad. As I Charleston native (technically East of the Cooper not South of Broad) I find that whenever I read Conroy I am looking for myself and people I have known in the characters. I can usually find me (and us), which considering the dysfunctions Conroy pours into his writing, is somewhat troubling. Still, Conroy never fails to remind me of where I came from and that my heart will always be something of a Lowcountry heart.

The rabbi Jesus of Nazareth believes that those of us who follow Him might find ourselves in the life He offers. Even more, that we might find ourselves becoming more like Him. Our hearts can actually be transformed to be like His.

He really believes that – sometimes it’s harder for me to accept.

But it makes me wonder – what if we really believed that we might become more like Jesus and less like characters in a Conroy novel?

No comments:

Post a Comment