Thursday, May 21, 2009

Heart and Soul

In the Scripture text that is the basis for this Sunday’s message (1 Samuel 14) there is a moment where Jonathan’s armor bearer indicates his support

I am with you heart and soul.

As beautiful as that sounds, the English barely captures the depths of this affirmation. The original Hebrew is much more eloquent:

I am with you like your heart is with you.

Take a moment and reflect on that image:

I am with you like your heart is with you.

It’s a picture of intimacy and of life giving power and I’m convinced it’s just a glimpse of the way that God is with us through the gift of His Holy Spirit.

You’ll have to come Sunday to get the rest of Jonathan and his armor bearer’s story (hint: God prevails against all odds) but you don’t have to wait until Sunday to experience God’s power at work in your life.

Today Jesus Christ is with you – like your heart is with you.

That makes all the difference in the world.

1 comment:

  1. Love the post! Must confess however when I first saw the title I flashed back to many hours on the piano bench with various sisters. Now find myself humming!

    ReplyDelete