Friday, December 19, 2008

Weather Eye

Author Anne Lamott writes:

“You can safely assume you’ve created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do.”

Ouch!

It was a good reminder for me as I began to work on this Sunday’s message. More on that later in the week.

Perhaps like a lot of you I’ve found myself once again obsessed with watching the gulf. This week it’s Hurricane Ike (is it just a coincidence that Ike is heading our way and Tina is scheduled to perform at the Toyota Center next month?). My favorite web sites have switched from pastors’ blogs to the National Hurricane Center (nhc.noaa.gov) and Weather Underground (wunderground.com). I’m convinced that I need to check back each (and every) hour to know the latest computer model forecast.

Growing up on the Carolina coast, hurricanes are familiar to me. I’ve always liked the fact that we name them and then spend days anxiously awaiting their arrival (it’s like having in-laws coming for a visit). That’s what really bothered me about earthquakes when we lived in California, they just “drop in” without warning. Anyway like most of the gulf coast I’ll be spending the week with a “weather eye” on the Weather Channel.

No comments:

Post a Comment