Friday, December 19, 2008

Facebook

There’s the scene in Genesis (the first book of the Old Testament not the band) where two estranged brothers, Jacob and Esau, and reunited. When they see one another for the first time in a long time Jacob utters one of my favorite lines in the Bible.

to see your face is like seeing the face of God (Genesis 33: 10)

Isn’t that a great image!

It seems that lately, through the wonder of Facebook, I’ve been seeing faces that I haven’t seen in a long time. I’ve had a Facebook page for a while now but apparently Facebook is becoming very popular with 40-somethings – and increasingly I’ve received “friend requests” and “suggestions” from people that I haven’t seen in ages.

I’m not sure I’d go so far as to say that seeing their faces is like seeing the face of God – but it is fun to see how they’ve “aged” and learn where we are (I had the Facebook page of a high school friend open the other day and one of my daughters asked “who the old person was?”)

In the past week I’ve seen:

Faces I’ve known since kindergarten
Faces I walked through turbulent times alongside
Faces that knew me “when” and Faces that know me now
Faces from coast to coast and places in between
Faces that I wouldn’t have recognized without the name and
Faces I’d know anywhere.

I’m trying not to become obsessed with Facebook. My daughters who understand these things far more that I do tell me to limit how much I change status, write on walls or post comments. Evidently that’s creepy (at least so they tell me). But I am enjoying faces that stir memories.

PS: Here's my Facebook Pic

No comments:

Post a Comment