Friday, December 19, 2008

Only do

In some relaxed reading yesterday afternoon I came across a great and challenging thought:

Only do what only you can do

It helps to say it a few times and let it sink in.

Since reading it I’ve been reflecting on how often I try to do what others can and should do. It’s a challenge is to constantly be focused on what I do best – on the things that only I can do – and let go of other things (that others usually can do better than I could).

It reminded me of something Thomas Merton wrote:

A tree glorifies God by being a tree.

When we try to be something other (whether it is more or less or simply different) than the “tree” God created us to be – then we cease to live for His glory – and often we begin to live for our own.

The challenge is to stick to being ourselves and doing, and only doing, those things that we were uniquely created to do.

Only do what only you can do.

It’s worth a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment