Friday, December 19, 2008

Face to Face

At breakfast this morning a friend quoted a great line from the movie “We Are Marshall.” I probably won’t remember it exactly but it goes something like:

“You didn’t propose to your wife with a letter and she didn’t say yes over the phone.”

Change “letter” and “phone” to email, text message, voice mail and you really capture the challenges of communication today. There are moments, especially when emotions are involved, that the only appropriate communication is face to face.

Too many times I respond with an email when I should have made a phone call or make a phone call when I should have initiated a face to face conversation. The more important the issue and the more passionate the emotions – the more critical it is for personal contact.

We live in an increasingly high-tech world (which I love) but we retain hearts in need of high-touch.

No comments:

Post a Comment